Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by LIZ: Cruising California

Friday, May 3, 2013

POST by LIZ: Cruising California

As Jed cruised along in the sorbet lime coloured Mazda, I madly wove through the traffic desperately  trying to keep up. My eyes refused to look back at the possible pile up I was causing; my main focus was not to lose sight of my lead-foot husband – coz, heaven-forbid another repeat of yesterday’s car following disaster, but that’s in the past and Jed said all was forgiven!

Our stressfree, “we’ll have stacks of time if we leave at 8am” turned into a mad dash out of the door at a quarter-to-10, suitcases thrown into the cars and a couple of wheel spins as we headed to the airport.

Prior to this grand salida, I had been woken up by what seemed like angels singing at 5:30am – “waaaaaaaay too early, Francesca,” I thought, as I sent the ‘angels’ flying through the sky, like I was in an Olympic Javelin Competition,  across the Church's nursery floor that we were kipping on.

The next “snooze” button went off again at 7am, “Jed, it’s 7am...” 

“ZZzzzz mmmm... no! We don’t have to leave till 9 Liz – sleeeeep...”

“Nine?? That is not what we planned...” but his loud snores drowned out my argument. Okay, whatever, I was tired and needed a few more winks of slumber.  I’d only had three hours sleep due to the many events that occurred the night before: We’d had a great day at Venice Beach, I was doing a marvellous job at tracking Jed, until we turned off the six laned highway, then realised that the car three vehicles ahead that I had been following for the past two miles was indeed, not Jed...

Nightmare!

All I will say about that is, thank God for Starbucks wifi, facebook friends, and smartphones with GPS’.  

We returned a lot later than expected to be greeted by smiles and pizza, a private dance performance – (this sounds weird.. but Jed’s updates will explain more), and Yader’s reunion with his tia and tio (aunty and unle… They hadn’t seen each other for nine years! – so it was very emotional for all). But meant that my ‘requires at least three hours’ packing was delayed until 1am.
So, sleep we did for an extra hour.

The Angels sang again but this time they did not fly. “Okay, it’s time to get moving!” and that is when it all started to go wrong.

Blurry eyed Jonny and Eric made their way to the bathroom, but on the way there, Jonny realised his cap was missing... he searched through the bags and surrounding area, but no green DC baseball cap could be seen.

Like a grizzly bear who had just had its cub taken from her; he roared into action; slamming his fists on the floor, doors and tables.  Jed quickly chased him outside and told him that his behaviour was out of control, and I could hear the ‘Growing-Kids-God’s-Way’ training method of ‘What to do when your toddler throws a fit’ – kicking in.

Meanwhile, Yordy, who had been awoken by the “bear”, saw his broken zipped backpack lying empty on the table and his eyes turned red.  “Where’s my stuff? He howled in Spanish.  I quickly attempted to explain that last night his backpack zipper popped off and I put his clothes and other items into the blue Nike backpack. 

I waved the backpack in the air with a forced smile, trying to lift the mood, but his eyes just narrowed, and his nose snorted gruffly.  It was like I was waving a red cape at a bull the way he charged at the bag. He tore it open and allowed the neatly rolled items to tumble carelessly to the floor.

As I watched my hard work be mistreated,  I knew that “now was not a good time to address the issue” with Yordy. I had seen those ‘eyes and flared nostrils’ before.   The last couple of time we had ‘addressed the issue’ my car received two major beatings and Jed almost had a knife in his chest. 

Yes, now was not the right time to address this attitude, so I simply turned and allowed the stamping bull to struggle with the broken zipper, as I prayed a silent prayer of wisdom and peace to this final day in the USA.

So, here I was, in the car packed full with suitcases and pillows. We arrived in record time at LAX airport.  Eric, Beycker and Jonny pulled the luggage from the car and dragged it to a spot. 
Jonny had a flight to catch – long story short, he has a BBoy Competition in Wisconsin, so he will be remaining in the US for his tournament, and then touring with Churches with Jed and Rafael.

We left Beycker and Eric guarding the bags, Jed and Jonny took the Mazda and I followed in my car.   As I followed Jed, a pushy white van blocked my view. “It’s okay Liz, just stay focussed” I encouraged myself, but in focussing on telling myself to focus, I missed Jed’s signal to the left and whizzed right on past. 

Not again!  I thought to myself as I realised my mistake, but the airport traffic urged me forward. Now if any of you know LAX, it’s a pretty big airport – there are literally hundreds of airlines and several terminals, so a quick miss like this cost me!  

I circled the site and pulled into what I thought was the same parking lot, but it was too late, Jed was nowhere to be seen because I was at the wrong carpark.  Not to panic, just park and get into the airport.  There’s no rush on my part, it’s just Jonny who needs to get there, wherever ‘there’ was.

I didn’t even know which terminal parking lot I was in.  Geez, why can’t I be a savvy driver?
As I pulled into a parking space, mad at myself for losing Jed for a second time within 24 hours, yet glad that Jonny was in Jed’s hands and would still make his flight regardless of my blunder, I suddenly felt the blood drain from my body... perched in the passenger’s seat was Jed’s black bag with Jonny’s ticket and passport!!!!

Skates on, I grabbed my phone (thank God I say again for smartphones!) and within seconds the electronic ticket confirmation displayed that Jonny’s US Airways flight was leaving within 35 minutes. “CRAAAAAP!!!” I pegged it through the carpark and down the stairs. 

WAIT! I need to know where I’ve just parked. I skipped steps as I rocketed my way back up the concrete steps to get a good look at my parking spot. “Terminal two 4E, Terminal two 4E, Terminal two 4E!!!” I chanted as I made my way back down the stairs and to Terminal One, which hosted US Airways.

I was impressed with my sprint. But when I arrived, no Jonny, nor Jed could be seen.  I checked to see if he had checked in, but “nope” was the reply. 



I remembered that Jed had Fran’s phone that Carl from New Life Community Church had lent to her.  Quickly I dialled the number, but lo and behold Virgin informed me that the minutes had been all used up.  Grrrrr,...great timing!  But hope was not lost, I remembered WIFI and skype was my newly beloved provider.

It rang and rang, then did this weird double ring echo and then Jed answered...”What...Liz... ah...” CLICK Okay, so it wasn’t the best phone call a husband and wife could of had, but he knew I was at the right spot at least. 

The check-in-chick, who had been using my dramas as a cheap replacement for her dearly missed soap operas, piped up, “Ya know honey, you can always check in for him if you have the confirmation code.”

Ahhh, there’s some brownie points coming my way.. YES, I have the confirmation code, I have the passport, coz I have Jed’s black bag!
 
My fingers touched the self-check-in screen like an expert. As the boarding cards printed I felt satisfied with my recovery, however I started to wonder what was holding Jed and Jonny up.  Suddenly I realised... I have the confirmation code, I have the passport, I have HIS bag!  I have it... and he doesn’t know.

Jonny busting a move in the airport
Back to skype my chubby fingers travelled. Ring-ring, double ring.. “Liz?” 

“Yep, I have your bag!!”

“GRRRRR”  CLICK.

I waited and waited, with every second passing I wished they’d hurry.  Suddenly Jed appeared frustrated and flustered.  We still had to make two more runs to the airport and time was ticking.  “C’mon,” he growled.. and headed for the exit.

“Wait, where’s Jonny?”  I quizzed, He stopped in mid air.  “Didn’t you put him on the flight?” he retorted.

“hmmm, no, I thought he was with you..”

Without conversation Jed took off at top speed, it was just like trying to follow him while driving! 

“JONNY” he yelled like a madman as he stormed through the crowds.  I could see the security guards grabbing their walkie-talkies and making a bee line for us.     

We found Jonny waiting at the curbside where Jed had dropped him off.

Jonny, a BBOY Pro!
“Rapido” and within seconds we were back inside at the screening point.  We threw passports and tickets at him and fumbled through in childlike Spanish the how-to board an airplane instructions to Jonny. 

“Have fun” I yelled as Jonny bound up the stairs towards the screening point.  He turned and gave us a shrug; indicating his lack of knowledge on what to do next.
Jed and I both pointed to the left, he obeyed, he showed the security lady his boarding ticket and she sent him in the opposite direction.  He turned and looked at us like a kid starting his first day in kindergarten.  He was scared, unsure, and wanted us to be with him.  We stared back, longing to scoop him up and just take charge, but the grey haired security officer and black roped area clearly stated we were not permitted past that point. 

We shrugged and agreed with the lady’s commands to head right and that was it, he nodded his head in obedience and disappeared. 


We stood for a second in silence. Both wondering silently how this would turn out. But the loud ticking of time urged us forward.  Jed started to walk, then looked back in the direction of the screening, “We need to...” then he stopped, knowing it was out of our hands. 

Jonny, through God there is purpose for his life...



If you would like to learn more about who our Nica-Youths are, or to support them, please visit their page, SUPPORT Nica-Talent



To learn more about our street theatre production, "CREATED", please visit our page,NICAVANGELISTS: "CREATED", North American Tour (2013)

If you would like to see a video of some of our Nica-Youths practicing, please CLICK HERE

We are not up to budget, and travelling with 14 people is very expensive. We need an investment from Christian people for our next evangelism tour to the Midwest. To support us or make a once off donation, please visit our page, Contemplating SUPPORTING something significant?

To learn more about the Australian Christian Churches, please CLICK HERE

To learn more about Capital on the Edge's home Church in Australia, please CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment