Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by RENZ: Family First, PARTY!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

POST by RENZ: Family First, PARTY!

Lorenzy with her grandparents from the UK, Richard & Sue
Here in Nicaragua, when you turn fifteen years old, you have a quinceanera. If you don’t know what that is, it is a big party because you are now old enough to do what you want to do (well, sort of). Like you are allowed to make your own choices. Most of the time only the girls celebrate it but some guys do it as well, but it is not that common.

First, what happens is the birthday person wears a HUGE dress, and I mean huge, somewhat like a wedding dress. Then you go to a church to have blessings and things like that and then you go to the actual party. It is pretty much the same as a wedding but you do not get married.

You have fourteen other people, who are very close to you, and they walk with you into the party. You are the fifteenth person and each person represents a year of your life. They are usually wearing the same dresses (the girls) and the boys the same suits, except for the people at the front like the little person at the front who might have a wand, and they lead the other people and he or she walks alone.

The rest of the people go with their partners most of the time. Once the birthday girl/guy is in the party, she or he has a special dance with the person that walked into the party with them. Then when all that is done you just have a normal party.

Francesca is fourteen and in November she is turning fifteen and she decided to have her quince. My parents have invited a bunch of people from different places like England, Australia, and the United States. Even people we don’t know but that my Dad knows were invited!

Our grandparents from both sides are coming and so is my Uncle and Aunt and my cousins and I am so excited to see everyone again because it has been a very long time since I have seen them. The first family members that are coming are my grandparents from my mum’s side. I was told that they were going to come on Tuesday at night.

Every night we watch one episode of Frasier and one episode of Seinfeld before going to bed. On Monday night we were in the middle of watching an episode of Frasier when my mum went to her computer like she always does and got onto her e-mail.

None of us noticed but none of us really cared, because we were so intrigued with the show. All of a sudden, right in the middle of the show my mum screamed and came running to us still screaming like a headless chick. Then, when she had gotten our attention she ran back and my sister and I followed her asking her “WHAT?! WHAT HAPPENED?! TELL US!!!!”.

She stopped screaming and went back to dad and said that my uncle had sent her a message saying that my grandparents were at the airport waiting for us to pick them up and asking if we were going to pick them up.

She was confused because the flight information had said that they were arriving the next day so she did not know what to do. We did not have our car because it was getting fixed and so it would be harder to get them.

My mum said it was probably a mistake or something, but my dad said that if Uncle Nick wrote the message, then it was most likely that he had been contacted by my grandparents to tell us, since they probably didn’t have anyway to tell us.

We sat there for a while wondering what to do. We decided not to go and get them so we went back to watching our show.

In the morning my mum, Rafael, Billy, and Ericson, went to the airport to go and get them because we had been told that they were staying at the hotel across the road from the airport.

My mum borrowed a car from somebody and went to go get them. When I saw them I felt so happy and couldn’t wait to catch up with them. I love it when people from different countries come. Especially family! 




No comments:

Post a Comment