Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: Health: What is killing sugar-cane workers across Central America?

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Health: What is killing sugar-cane workers across Central America?


As I toured the villages I heard many accounts of barbaric suffering beneath the equatorial heat. Héctor García, 33, a stage-two patient, told me: "It's very hot; we suffer. People sometimes collapse. More often they vomit, especially when the heat is worse. They do two shifts to earn more money." Ismael Ramos, 40, who is at stage five, said: "In those cane fields, I can't stand it. I'm dizzy and sweating like crazy. I've vomited. I've fainted. I drown in sweat. When I come home, I feel surrendered. Sick. Headache. I can't shower because the water [from the roof-mounted tank] is too hot."


No comments:

Post a Comment