Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by NATALIE (GAP YEAR LEADER): A Collage of Blog Posts

Thursday, March 7, 2013

POST by NATALIE (GAP YEAR LEADER): A Collage of Blog Posts


Me & my new friends at Pochomil

When I arrived in Managua a few weeks ago, I was greeted by children riding piggy back, people running around and a car that was so full to the brim I was surprised that they could fit one more person in. I met Billy, an awesome little 4 year old who sat in my lap while we zig-zagged through the back streets of Managua. Most of the guys were quiet, but one of them, Rene, is a show-off.

All of a sudden, when stopped at one of the boyz’ house in a shady part of Managua, Rene began doing back flips. I watched in amazement as this group of unlikely fellows came alive. First they were super shy about greeting me, but one by one they grew out of it.

In the week to follow they went to El Salvador to perform, so it wasn't until this past week that I really started to get to know them. Along with Rene, there are seven other boys who each either break dance or do tricking (aka back flips to the extreme). Though most of them were injured in one way or another, I loved watching them perform. They are a super-talented group of guys.

Capital on the Edge is a mission located in a part of Managua that isn't as hot, because it isn't located in the city and also has a nice bit of breeze going through.

I also taught classes on my full first day in Managua at the Project in Barrio Loco. This was a surprise since I was handed the materials for class in the morning and was asked, "Do you mind?"

It was a good bit of fun though and the kids were great. I had a class of about eleven kids who were each about eleven years old. Our class consisted of english bingo, followed by a girls vs. guys spelling game and to finish we sang the itsy bitsy spider and hokey pokey!

The primary class I have, at Capital Edge Community School, consists of 4-6 year old kids and I have a second class that I will be taking over once the teacher goes back to the States.

Today was my first day in our new and improved convertible school bus! That's right! It was horse and cart! Previously I had been in the car when collecting the kiddos, but, since the horse is feeling better (it was bitten by a dog), we took it instead.

The kids were awesome, laughing at my attempts to speak in Spanish and also my constant complaining on how much the ride wore on your rear end. I was able to say a friendly hello to the parents of my awesome little students, see the country side and experience my own "Little House on the Prairie" episode. All I needed was Laura Ingles to come running down a hill with braids or pig tails and things would be set!

I am having a great time and little by little I am settling in.

Last Sunday, to have fun and kinda celebrate their trip to El Salvador, we took a trip to the beach. Now, I have to tell you, with my hair dyed a shade of red, my blue eyes and my light skin, I felt like the little mermaid (minus the fish tail and seashell bra).  The beach was full of amazing views and waves that seemed to never end. 
Anna, Ericson, Lorenzy & Natalie at Pochomil
Somehow though, I got into a mad sand war. People were making balls of sand and just pelting each other with them (I have the bruises to prove it). With both hands full of sand I charged, only to be met with at least four of the guys also with their hands loaded. Needless to say, I lost.

The day at the beach ended with a very different type of playing in the sand. Liz, the "director" of the ministry, decided to play a prank on her husband (Jed) by driving the car to the other side of the beach. We accidentally hit some very soft sand and sunk up to the axle on the car!

Thankfully, there were some very nice beach-going Nicaraguans to the rescue and one of them had a shovel! We eventually dug our way out. We were tired, sore and slightly sun burnt but it had been such a great day that even the car ride home (when Jed almost killed us) was enjoyable.

Now I mentioned there were eight guys that did tricking, but I only mentioned Rene. He was the only one I remembered from the first day because of the back flips, but now I have the pleasure of knowing the rest. Eliazer, Beycker, Jonny, Yordy, Ericson, Stivie, and Yader.

They will have to forgive me if I spelt their names wrong, but I think I got it right. These guys are so funny, always putting on gel and looking in the mirror to make sure that even if they don't go anywhere, that they are prepared to.

Now there are two gap year girls along with myself and they are Anna and Jocasta. There is a new girl coming, Monica, but she had to return to Mexico for a family emergency.

Right now there is a clinic going on so things have been pretty busy. This morning we were short staffed and I had a migraine and stomach issues... yeah I know, no fun. I am so thankful however that they pulled together so that they could march on without me. The people here are just that awesome!

Also today, the guys just got approved for their visa's and they will be touring California in the United States! They are super excited (as they should be!) and once I return to the United States I might have to take a road trip to see them perform and reconnect.

Things, though crazy, have been awesome and I cannot wait to see what God is going to do through me here. Being an English teacher is awesome, and teaching is definitely my passion, but I still want to know if I am making that deep impact to the people I am surrounded by.

Well, that's the short version from the past few weeks. I hope y'all keep me in your prayers! I will be returning to the states in June and after that I don't believe I will be returning to Nicaragua. It is all in the hands of God, but I hope to start helping people in the States in my own community.

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE that you are here with us, Natalie! Thanks for being a GREAT teacher to the kiddies, an awesome friend to all, we know it´s just until June, but already you have made such a big impact. x

    ReplyDelete