Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by ANNA: Please Don't Cry...

Monday, March 4, 2013

POST by ANNA: Please Don't Cry...



The day started off all wrong (Atmosphere lyric for all the thugs out there reading my blog). Well, really, it didn’t start off all wrong. I just wanted to start my blog with a song lyric. But I promise it will relate to the rest of the blog.

The day honestly started off a little strange though. I overslept my alarm so I didn’t wake up until about 7:50 when I am supposed to be at the meeting by 8:00 and usually wake up before 7:00. I pretty much just brushed my teeth and called it good. Of course I did change my clothes as well.

The meeting went well except for there was a bit of a drama with one of the lads who lives here, or rather, used to live here, because he is not living with us at the moment. But otherwise, a normal day.

Footloose and Fancyfree, Anna enjoys a Toffee Apple

After teaching my class, I am sure I did something productive with my time but I can’t honestly remember what I did. Evidently, I am really getting old.

Anyways in the afternoon, Liz (the missionary who I live with) and her sister-in-law Bindi loaded everyone up in the car, and we were all set to go to Malecón. Malecón is an area of Nicaragua where there is a free carnival with tons of free rides and cheap food.

As usual, it took about fifteen minutes to get everyone in the car and work everything out. At last, we were on the road excited for a trip to the free carnival. To our demise, it was discovered that we had a flat tire, which isn’t necessarily significant because we always have a flat tire.

This time though, it was realllly flat. We weren’t able to keep everyone in the car and make it all the way to the nearest petrol station to fill up the tires. So we all piled out of the car, and just Liz and a few others went off to fill up the tires.

We waited around for a while until they returned, as jubilant and excited as ever to go to Malecón. I wasn’t really focusing well on the day, but somehow the dogs got out of the gate and were roaming around the neighborhood.

Therefore, we had to chase the dogs down and get them back through the gate. After about a half hour and several sprinting folks, young and old, the dogs were safe and secure inside the gates, which meant we were free to go!

Capital on the Edge People, having fun at Malecon...

I have been to Malecón before and we waited in line for 2 hours for one ride, and as soon as we got to the front of the line, all of the rides closed because it was too late. So this time, I did really want to get on a ride, but I was expecting the worst.

We approached the first ride, which was a nice albeit rusty rollercoaster that seemed appealing. I didn’t actually pick it, but it looked alright to me.

This time we only waited in line for about a half hour and we were able to get on the ride. Like most amusement parks, it doesn’t matter if you ride with your friends or with strangers. The line goes according to who is there.

Lucky for me, a stranger was right behind me. She looked like she was from the Caribbean coast because according to my sources, people who live on the Caribbean coast are darker skinned than the rest of the country.

We sat down and I tried to give her my nicest “Hi, I am a stranger and a gringa. You can trust me” smile. I don’t think she really bought it because as soon as the ride moved, she began to cry.

I tried to speak to her in Spanish and in English, but she didn’t understand either of them. I assume this is because she speaks Miskito, the language of the Caribbean Coast.

Feeling trapped, I began to pat her back quite awkwardly, and gave her a thumbs up with a corny smile. Nothing seemed to work. She got off the ride and ran to her friends.

The worst part of all this is that everyone who watched thought that I was the one who was freaking the girl out. But the truth was I honestly don’t think she had ever ridden a carnival ride, much less a rollercoaster, in her young life. OF COURSE she was scared.
The Famous Photo
In the end, I got a great laugh out of the whole situation. Someone even captured a photo of the girl and I where it truly does look like I am trying to frighten her.

No comments:

Post a Comment