Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: The Secret Life of a Missionary - Part 2

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Secret Life of a Missionary - Part 2


Part 1 of the "Secret Life of a Missionary" was an incredibly challenging read for me. Since I posted the blog (written by the Taylors) I have had several discussions about it with a range of terrific missionary folk - from almost complete strangers to a man I'd consider to be my best American friend (here in Nicaragua).

I've also had several deep discussions with myself, and consequentially there may be a post or two coming from my daughters, possibly entitled the "Secret Life of a Missionary with Turrets Syndrome  - Call 911."

In any case, I have to say I feel very blessed. The Brien family and Capital on the Edge are in a refining process and we're gunning for gold, pure gold. You have to understand that our belief is He's (God) at work in us. He's challenging our thinking. He's drawing us closer to Himself. He's giving us His heart for our World.

We didn't choose to be born Caucasian (the name in and of itself puts me off) in comfy Australia/Britain/USA (Rafael). God chose that path for us. Elizabeth and I have the Godly heritage of parents who have been, and still are,  very much involved in "missions." As a couple we have always desired to serve the Lord wherever we've been. And so it was no surprise to our family when we announced, ten days prior to our departure, that we were moving permanently to Latin America.

That was over four years ago. So much has happened between then and now. I have to confess, because of all our highs and lows, cultural and near death experiences, family and ministry growth and change, I now want to write a blog post just like Amy's. The first one, that is. However, I can't because it would be considered to be plagiarism.

I love Amy's second post, because it highlights her God centered experiences with Nicaragua, the work others are doing for the Kingdom, and the awesome impact Christian missionaries are having on Nicaragua as a country.

The second post is important to me, because unlike the first post, Amy's experiences are completely different to mine. This proves that whilst Satan only has a select bag of tricks to use on us here in Nicaragua, God - in his awesomeness, has us work completely uniquely, each contributing with the gifts and talents he programmed us with. Isn't that just the best? We're all important!

Now before I share the bits-I-liked-best, I want to offer a scripture for your contemplation. If you really believe in the God of the Heavens then you cannot ignore this scripture. Jesus said the words himself. Heaven and Hell are real. This Earth and the people on it are real. Our actions in our lifetimes are significant. There will come a judgment and we need to have a sense of urgency for those who don't know HIM.




“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” Matthew 25: 31 - 46

Bits from the blog:

I’ve seen the look on Nicaraguan teenager’s faces as they’ve seen the Pacific Ocean for the first time...   I’ve had my (Nicaraguan) friends stand alongside me in multiple lines for days at the Traffic Police Department...  I’ve seen twin boys crawl across the room to get to my husband.  I’ve seen staff members laugh at my attempt in speaking Spanish! I’ve seen a woman screech in delight when riding an escalator for the first time... I’ve seen Nicaraguan doctors and dentists serve their own people with free health care... I’ve had the church dance team perform a dance for my birthday.  I’ve celebrated my birthday with 200 of my favorite kids.

I’ve held and prayed for a baby who had a high fever for days and then had the mother come back rejoicing later that day because her baby’s fever was gone...  I’ve seen people who have nothing give like God commanded them to give... I’ve seen people crying over receiving a bag of rice... I’ve seen people forsake all to serve their own people.  I’ve seen people who have nothing, walk forward on Sunday and put money in the offering plate... I’ve seen nannies love kids just like they love their own. I’ve seen kids get new mommies and daddies...

I’ve seen Americans come to Nicaragua to be the hands and feet of Christ... I’ve seen American’s weep over the despair in Nicaragua...  I’ve seen forever friendships built...  I’ve seen an American buy a little girl who has cerebral palsy a new all-terrain wheelchair... I’ve seen American’s give food to people who are starving.  I’ve seen American’s provide medicines to very sick children and adults...  I’ve seen missionaries with hearts for all who come their way. 

I’ve seen a missionary see sick children whenever it was needed.  I’ve seen her come to the rescue of children.  I’ve seen her mentor Nicaraguan teenagers.   I’ve seen her take Nicaraguan people, who amongst their own country are considered nothing and teach them basic medical things so they can help their own people...  I’ve seen her truly love the people God called her to work with.  I’ve seen her surprise a bunch of women with a trip to the salon and then a trip to the coffee house... I’ve seen her provide much needed medicines for sick people...

I’ve seen another missionary family leave a safe missionary community to move to the country to minister to those people.  I’ve seen this same family volunteer their free time to hold and love babies.  I’ve seen them cut their living budget so they can give more..  I’ve seen their son build a home for a needy family... I’ve seen them be open to wherever or to whatever God wants them to do.  I’ve seen them being RADICAL!

1 comment:

  1. I know its not easy being far from the family just to serve other. That is why I really admire the passion of all missionaries the family Int..

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete