Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: The Secret Life of a Missionary - Part 1

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Secret Life of a Missionary - Part 1

Today I want to post a blog by another missionary couple in Nicaragua. I can testify that their words are 100% true and can also identify, having experienced 90% of what they talk about (plus our own unique set of incidents). We've shared little bits'n'bobs together but our commitment to each other is based upon our relationship with God, and supporting each other, as we are released into our God given destinies.

Over the last couple of years the Brien family has worked EXTREMELY hard to keep forgiveness in check, and therefore can honestly say that we harbour no bitterness. In saying that, I do also have to say that the enemy's most successful strategy in Nicaragua is to put missionaries against each other, causing copious amounts of division.  

The Brien family have all but walked away from the missionary community here in Nicaragua, as we sense lukewarmness and a lack of passion for the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The "field" is ripe with competition, finger-pointing, pride, inequality, a lack of Christ's love, etc.

As we have started our walk away, we have become keenly aware of a great array of missionaries working the field from within local barrios (as opposed to gated communities, which are set apart for business leaders, politicians, rich Nicaraguans and... missionaries...).

There are several Church groups doing an AMAZING work. We have the greatest respect for Mennonites (who work diligently and alone), Vineyard Churches, some non-denoms and various folk from other Churches.

What is really sad to me is that the Christian folk from our barrio already know about the lies spoken of in this blog being posted. They say missionaries from abroad are "bad people". I assure you, many a-time has a lump formed in my throat... The knowledge that the local Christians are resistent to our work has helped me know HOW to work. But still, even with these hurdles, we've even had other missionaries meddle in what God is giving us to do. AS IF THERE ISN'T ENOUGH WORK ALREADY!!!

I believe this blog is important because it exposes some of the lies which are rife amongst the missionary community in Nicaragua and gives you SPECIFICS on how to pray. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, and so I think this blog is also excellent because it gives us all the opportunity to take a long hard look at ourselves. Where can we do better? Where are the parts that need to be operated on? Are we being honest with our Churches at home? Are we playing a game or fighting a battle? Do we still have the passion we were sent with or have we allowed others to taint our first love? What/who are we here for - Christ? The people? Ourselves? Do we value our brothers and sisters in Christ? Do we think we're a bit clever, a self-made prodigy, or are we praying "YOUR Kingdom come, YOUR Will be done"?

Here are bits of the blog for you to read:

From the beginning of my journey in Nicaragua I was told that I was naïve for making friends with the Nicaraguans.  I was told Nicaraguans would use me to get what they wanted.  I was told never to allow Nicaraguans into my home as guests.  I was told never to eat what Nicaraguans eat. I was told Nicaraguans would steal from me any chance they got.  I was told Nicaraguans were lazy.  I was told not to trust Nicaraguans, even people I considered friends. I’ve been told my passion for Nicaragua would soon fade away.

I was told I wasn’t wanted.  I was called a liar.  I was told I’d never make it as a missionary.  I was told not to have feelings. I was told what I’ve heard as a calling wasn’t really from God.  I was told that the death of a child is a normal thing and it happens all the time.  I’ve been told I’m too full of ambition.  I’ve been called “poison”.  I’ve been told to do whatever is necessary to keep my family comfortable and safe.  I

I’ve been told to slow down.  I was told people couldn’t be my friends because of who I associated with.  I’ve had a person turn her back on me when I was talking to her. I was told I had too much excitement.  I was told only to learn the language and serving would come in time.  I was called a brat.  I was told if necessary it’s okay to use ministry money to help meet my personal needs.  I was told there is never enough money.

I was told not to give money to the people begging at the streetlights and corners.  I was told I share way too much information on Facebook. I was told as a woman, the only mission work I should do was homeschool my children and support my husband.  I was told that I would be privileged if a missionary family invited me to their home for dinner.  I was told to watch what I say to other missionaries because some are only there to destroy.

I was and had people pointed out to me to stay away from because they were trouble. I’ve had missionaries tell me that we can’t work together because we are all fighting for the same money.  Missionaries have told me I can’t go to certain places because I would be stepping into their territory.   A medical missionary said they didn’t have the time to see a Nicaraguan child who was born without an eye and had an infection eating the skin off her face.

I was told it is more important how much money American’s leave than actually how much work they did while serving in Nicaragua.  I was told to get over my need to feel appreciated because I would never feel it again being a missionary.  I’ve heard new missionaries being condemned for visiting another missionary’s ministry.  I’ve been told missionaries don’t support each other.  I was told parts of ministry were none of my business.

I was told seasoned missionaries don’t except new missionaries until they’ve been in the country for at least a year.  I was told to be careful to whom I talked to and what I shared because gossip spreads fast amongst the missionary community.  Missionaries were told not to work with us because we “destroy” ministries.  I was told life as a missionary was going to be more difficult than anything I’ve ever experienced.

From the beginning I saw missionaries driving around in very expensive automobiles.  I’ve seen missionaries living in what I would consider “mansion” style houses.  I’ve seen missionaries living well above their means.  I’ve seen ministries struggling to pay their bills while their families are living out the “American Dream”.

I’ve seen missionaries let their ministries “fall apart” so when American teams come down, they’ll get more sympathy and teams will leave more money. I’ve seen the misuse of donated funds.  I’ve seen an affair happen in a mission organization and quickly covered up so people wouldn’t find out.

I’ve seen a missionary community ignore new missionaries.  I’ve seen from missionaries the lack of passion for the people God called them to serve. I’ve seen people covering up their wrongs by lying.  I’ve heard the phrase “God Spoke To Me” from missionaries more times than I’ll ever want to hear again because I’ve seen this phrase used for manipulation.

I’ve seen missionaries ask for help from seasoned missionaries and be told to figure it out by themselves.   I’ve seen new missionaries want to leave Nicaragua because of hurtful things seasoned missionaries have said. I’ve seen that the love of money is the root of all-evil.

I’ve seen Nicaraguans in high esteemed missionary work fall into the temptation of wanting to make more money, while their fellow Nicaraguan brothers and sisters who work with them struggle to feed their families.

I’ve seen starving children turned away from eating at the feeding program because food ran out.  I’ve seen children starving to death.  I’ve seen a mother crying over her daughter’s casket.  I’ve prayed with women who constantly ask “Why?”  I’ve held a woman while she sobbed because her husband left her and her five children. I’ve seen a mother crumble when she found out her son had been raped.  I saw an 18-year-old girl have her stepfather’s baby.

I’ve seen naked children standing in line for food.  I’ve seen children raising their baby siblings or family members.  I’ve seen children working in the dump.  I’ve seen children juggling in the middle of traffic just to get something to eat or a peso.  I’ve seen no hope.

To read blog CLICK here

No comments:

Post a Comment