Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by JED: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Part 5

Monday, September 17, 2012

POST by JED: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Part 5


It was to be the beginning of many an introduction, though in this scenario our hosts had to have been especially curious. We'd never met, never even talked on the phone. Our communication had been confined to e-mail and internet photo stalking - Liz and I (well actually myself alone... It sounds less weird if I include Liz as she's more mature) had scoured their website and they may have looked at our Capital-on-the-Edge facebook albums,  and our blog. In any case, each was as unknown to the other. We were from different lands, working in different communities, but united in purpose that all men should know salvation through Jesus.

Wendy had offered for us to stay in her lakefront Minnesotan, home. We were honoured by this gesture, and being ex-YWAM, had no difficulties with the thought of lodging with complete strangers for the night. We snapped up the offer.

Now whether people believe it or not, in my mind I'm the funny guy. Things that race through my brain I just have to say aloud (sometimes prior to thinking and other times not). However, there'd been much self-talk and I'd decided to throw away my hilarious Mike Warnke, Pat Mesiti and Jim Carey laugh-a-minute road show persona and employ the guise of a more serious, all-knowing itinerant preacher type.

I glided spiritually towards the front door, not totally submitting to the natural law of gravity. As my hostess walked before me I stumbled over a step in the dark, tripping and then bounding into the house just ahead of Liz (who must have been thinking how absurd I was to try and race). I was still clutching my Bible when I landed, head nearly smashing into the deluxe fridge-freezer combo-machine. As per usual, Lizzie tip-toed by, proving just how easy it is to place one foot carefully in front of the other.

 And there they were, sitting before me, in all their lovely Americaness; wide grins, warm eyes, welcoming hearts. I was chuffed to be amongst them. Every chap sat next to his spouse and there wasn’t a seat to spare in this creatively decorated country cottage.



We had arrived in Nica style an hour and a half late, not really knowing where we were going (or coming from). Because of the time pressures we hadn’t nourished ourselves with a sufficient lunch prior to our departure from Dom’s wedding – hence we’d stopped on the freeway for a tantalizing taste of cardboard flavoured food. Yum… However, despite the taste and nutritional factors (for that matter), in terms of our desire for additional food, we were now entirely satisfied.
These beaut folk had put on quite a spread. It was in fact a potluck meal and so the diversity of food options were amazing. We each took a plate and enjoyed fare from all over the World. I was now liking these people all-the-more.


We chatted for a while and enjoyed learning all about our new found family. Because truly, that is what the people of Zimmerman Community Church are – they’re our heart and spirit – our home. They are ordinary people who have come together and achieved extraordinary things, because they have stayed the course and sought the face of God.

I learnt that evening of many horrific obstacles this Church has faced. I also was blessed to find unity and devotion cemented into the very foundations of them. The leaders of the Church were very different from one another, in terms of their sexes (lady senior pastor), age (youth pastor in his 20s), occupations (white and blue collar unite), and so-forth. Yet, it was the number one Christian ingredient that completely won me over, love.

We chatted and laughed, talked seriously, prayed, worshipped, ate and sat in complete silence. The night air held anticipation and the hours passed quickly by. Before we knew it we were hugging, kissing, talking of tomorrow and saying our toodle-loohs.

Liz and I bade our farewells and walked pastorally into our designated sleeping chambers. I brushed my speaker’s teeth, washed my presenter’s face, and went to lay out my preacher’s clothing. My preacher’s clothing… MY PREACHER’S CLOTHING? Holy SUIT!!! I had left my suit in my other flip-floppin’ Minnesotan lake front cabin (with Jacuzzi and room for a pony)! What would I do? What would I say? It was at this point I considered trading my profession as a humble missionary from Nicaragua for the role of Holy Ghost Miracles Man.

There were no options available. I had to confront the moment head-on. I slunk sheepishly back into the lounge room and tapped my pastoral friend, Wendy, who was now reading her Bible (darn, I thought to myself – I should have brought my Bible!), on the shoulder and explained my predicament. Wendy, in complete grace, let out whimsical laughter.

“Jed!” she said, “you’re looking at a woman who just a few years ago wouldn’t let her daughters go to Church in jeans. I now preach in jeans! The freedom we have in Jesus, Jed, it’s a mighty thing.” Wow, I thought, humbled. I’m not the focus, I’m merely the signpost, pointing people towards Jesus.

We slept comfortably, though fitfully, on the eve of our first speaking engagement in the USA.

It’s funny to me. I love my father, though have never really liked so many things about him. I didn’t like the “home school classroom” concept, and now I run a school in exactly the same way. I didn’t ever like what he looked like or spoke like, and I’m now I´m a carbon copy. I didn’t like that he was poor and wrote prayer letters – look at me today, speaking to people I´ve never before met and living in Latin America´s second poorest country! I didn’t like that he was a preacher or a missionary, and blow-me down if I’m not dancing around in his shoes, AND singing the same song (though I pray, more in tune).

Upon the morrow I bounded out of bed like a Labrador ready to play fetch. Breakfast? Ho no, not a chance – I knew I’d be the most nervous guest speaker they’d ever had, and didn’t want to add the reproduction of my breakfast to an already freakishly overloaded repertoire of speaking, song, video and audience participatory events.

The drive to Church was a speedy one. Wendy does NOT muck about when stepping behind the wheel. We arrived with plenty of time to set up, pray and completely lose it on account of nerves!

Wendy gave us the tour of their brand new building and we encountered lots of enthusiastic introductions and getting-to-know you conversations. All-in-all, we managed to relax and really felt the heartbeat of the Church (every Church, I have learnt, has it’s own particular flavour).



Our Irish friend led us in a time of heart-felt praise and worship. I really love the profound simplicity of today’s American praise and worship sessions. By-and-large the Mariah Carey BIG voices of our congregations have been confined to sing back-up and the new era of young worship leader and voice of the Church has emerged. The songs are sing-able, less entertaining, and provide an atmosphere for communion with God.

Deep in thought I approached the platform. Liz and I had decided to open with a song, I Will Exalt You, which we sing in Spanish. It’s a Hillsong worship song written by Brooke Fraser, and so many people know it.

The idea of singing a song first was to have people focus on God and to help us relax. Blunder number 1! We must have incorrectly explained the order of our program to the friendly sound fellow. The song we were now singing, At the Cross, which is vocally impossible first thing, and which in our presentation also contained a video file meant to induce weeping in the aisles, pulling out of hair, and the begging of us for them to send prayers, financing and teams, now played…

Liz and I looked at each other and rolled with it. If there’s anything we’ve learnt in being a missionary to Nicaragua, it’s that we must, must, MUST be flexible. I was cool, I was calm, I was winding the microphone cord over my fingers, hand and forearm. Oh gracious, I was transitioning to cocoon mode. In a matter of minutes nothing of me would be visible, just the drone of my worship, “my hiiiiiiiiiding place, my saaaaaaaaaafe refuuuuuuuge…”

This isn’t the first time I’ve done this. As a child on King’s Kids, performing at YWAM in Canberra, for the very first time (snore), I’d entered into this exact same zone.

I was 10 years old and my leader, Sandra Winslade, gesticulated at me to the point of having a seizure, that I needed to let go of the microphone cord. I wanted to stop, but I just couldn’t. I knew I should stop, but my paws just wouldn’t. I had learned from other kids the art of telling my testimony, and had gotten so into it that I couldn´t work out how to stop.

Sharing testimonies, I had learnt, was all about publicly discussing the horrors of your youth. My fellow Kings Kids team members (all older) went into the greatest detail about their sex crimes, gang activities, satanic involvement, drug abuse and more. As I said, I was just 10 years old, the son of a preacher-missionary. I had plenty of dirt to dig, but just couldn’t decide what to settle on.

And so we sang with all our might! We shared from the heart and I can honestly say God was with us that day. There were no nerves. The people listened. The Holy Spirit spoke.

Upon conclusion (which actually was our first song. I know how Spiritual are we? The first shall be last!!! Ha ha), Pastor Wendy, a beautiful, tall, regal, fifty-something lass and our gorgeous friend, sister and co-worker for the cause, took to the stage and addressed her congregation. “We need to support these people,” she said with authority.

Pastor Wendy went on to explain how we’d met, the time we’d already spent together and the God-connection that clearly existed between Capital on the Edge and Zimmerman Community Church.

In agreement with Pastor Wendy, was another chap from the congregation. With tears he explained to the Church body just how important providing hope for the children of our World is. He conveyed to the folks that the Lord had blessed him with bountiful provision in his lifetime, and that he would now sow back into the Kingdom, above and beyond his 10% tithe.

Our first speaking engagement saw us retrieve 20% of the finances we’d needed for the repayment of our flights to the USA for our fundraising campaign. Zimmerman Community Church also committed to contributing a substantial amount, on a monthly basis, to support the work of Capital on the Edge.

The monthly donation, behind our Australian home and sending Church, is the most any Church has committed to-date. And so it was confirmed in the physical, what we already knew in the spiritual, that Zimmerman Community Church is to be a significant part of Capital on the Edge as the years go by.


Our day with Zimmerman Community Church was emotional. We left in love. We found that although vast differences are evident between the cultures of Australia, the US and Nicaragua, that Jesus is the same and we see him in the Church – everywhere… 

No comments:

Post a Comment