Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by JED: California Dreamin (Part 10)

Friday, June 7, 2013

POST by JED: California Dreamin (Part 10)

Being prayed over at Davis Christian Assembly (California)


Last night our troupe had a movie night with one of my favourite Californian Churches, the ever-radiating House, San Carlos. It was our last night in San Francisco, and so why not? I’ll tell you why not, because we HAD TO BE UP AT 7:30am the following morning!

“No matter”, I pompously told my owl-party self. I continued working happily away on the ol’ PC until the wee hours of the morn, “I’ll just sleep on the train tomorrow” (BAH! Yes, if you get up…). And so I enjoyed the quietness of this night, slipping under the covers at about 3am.

Just envisage my delight, at 7:30am, upon hearing Deanna’s chirpy, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah voice.  Deanna is nothing if she’s not a night person. In the morning, she hovers like a ghost and stomps like a trooper. In the morning she is WOMAN! Not the morning type of woman, but the brewed bevwa swillin, broom swingin (as opposed to riding), Bible swearing type.

She told me I was late, and to get my trucking mass up out of bed. I didn’t take this moment to subtly suggest alternative methods for communicating more hospitably with missionary guests, there was every chance I may receive an unpleasant boot appendage to my jaw line.

And so with that I was up - only taking roughly 2 minutes to arrive at standing altitude. I looked around groggily. “GETCHYACLOTHESOWN” I roared groggily, startled by my extremely gravelly, masculine voice, and wondering if the kids might possibly mistake me for some old, intoxicated, homeless person.

I clambered semi-naked to the bathroom. My body’s preparation took some serious work on this particular morning – the hair almost needed an operation to come under submission. The teeth requested brushing for nearly ten minutes in order to significantly reduce pongage. The shave, I HAD TO SHAVE – nearly took my lips off on account of blurry-eyedness…

I know I make “handsome” look easy. But trust me, you don’t throw a masterpiece together with just a click of the fingers – it takes precious time to get a body looking like mine in the morning. Just ask my good friend, Jenny Seaburg, how rough I can look these days as a blank canvas in the morning.

On her day in Managua, her comment was “Jed, you look like (rhymes with…) shell. Have a shave! Have a shower! Brush your teeth! Get some clothes ON!”

After becoming well and truly acquainted with the bathroom, I then ran around the Church, shouting orders this way and that. The truth is, I was so tired I just didn’t know where to begin. Of course Elizabeth had the easy job, systematically getting all 14 of us on the road by methodically organising us. She always takes the easy road, doesn’t she?

At 9:35am the final carload of Nicaraguassies filed out of San Carlos House Church, for the very last time (this trip). It had been a bit of a back-and-forth type jobby, but long-story-short we “arrived” at the Cal-Train station at 9:55am, our locomotion having already departed at 9:41am.

We trotted to the bus stop and waited there, crossing fingers and praying to almighty GOD in HEAVEN for another way of getting to the BART (Bay Area Rail Transit), so that we could make our connection with the AMTRAK.

The local bus came and we all got on. Lots of cranky, Saturday morning folk, also enjoying a smelly, stuffy, cross-town, public transport adventure. We alighted at the BART station and raced up the stairs to the vending machines. I bought $70 in tickets and practically soared down to platform 3.

A train arrived just moments later and we were whisked away, across the Frisco bay, to the beautiful world of Oakland. God love… Where was the Amtrak Railway Station? Not anywhere near the BART. Problem number 1 with AMTRAK.

Our enthusiastic troupe jumped into three taxi cabs, which were not sufficient for our transportational needs, so unbeknown to me Liz stayed with the last 4 bags and caught yet a fourth taxi.

I was first out of the cab at the AMTRAK railway station. I ran in and politely, though expressly, asked for our AMTRAK tickets to delightful Davis, to which the hoity toity attendant made comment that I was already holding valid tickets, I just needed to get on the train.

“Too kind, you’re just too kind…” I responded. (but really thought, “perhaps next time you could stop eating your lovely looking jam doughnut when chatting with the valuable customer??? AKA – me!)

I turned and peered through the glass walls. They looked similar to dazed deers as they wandered along, completely out of place, my precious Alien droids from a distant planet. I called out to them, “Nicaraguans and Briens, HEAD-FOR-THE-TRAIN!!!” I felt like a more masculine Kevin Costner at this point (Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves -  “The TREES, head for the TREES!!!”).

Of course Lorenzy, my smarty-pants, called out “which train?” And I emphatically started my losing-it dance, whilst simultaneously pointing to the only train in sight, “the one with the doors WIDE OPEN!” I screamed… (not so masculinely)

The mob started crawling along, like ants on a war path. I managed to get everybody on the train, told the conductor I would return in a jiffy – and explained that I just needed to assist my wife with the remaining bags, to which she responded “yeah sure, take your time…  we’ve still got a few minutes.”

I ran as fast as my athletic legs would carry me, humiliated when a senior citizen overtook me in one of those driveable wheel chair/dodgem car/shopping trolley type contraptions – which should be made illegal, in my opinion.

And so imagine my delight, halfway between the train and the place where Liz was getting out of the cab, when I heard a strange, train pulling away from the station, type noise! I cocked my head slightly and saw the AMTRAK machine charging along.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I screamed, with all the fury of Russell Crowe in the Gladiator. I ran into the AMTRAK office. “You’ve just put…” I stopped, knowing I was beginning my second interaction on the wrong foot. It was too late.

Her head elevated ever so slightly, she wiped the crumbs of the delicious doughnut away from her mouth, and I was to NOT receive eye contact again.

“Oh! I’VE JUST PUT YOUR KIDS ON THE TRAIN!?” she questioned aggressively. I hesitated, “No. I didn’t say that.” She looked at me with wild eyes “BUT YOU WERE THINKING IT!?” She was right, I had thought it. As Deanna from the HOUSE says, “you’re not wrong, but you’re not right either.”

“Well…” I stated firmly, “your train just left with my kids on it!” She huffed. “I HAVEN’T GONE ANYWHERE!” Good gracious, the ego… Yes, we’re all so special! “I’m not referring to YOU, I’m referring to your company. You represent your company!”

She glared at her co-worker “I’M NOT HELPING YOU ANYMORE!” and slammed a CLOSED sign down, blocking visual access between us.

I approached a portly fellow who wore an AMTRAK uniform and explained our sad predicament. He went over to the naughty AMTRAK lass and asked her for assistance. Upon sight of this bloke, her countenance changed and instead of removing the sign, she got down on her hands and knees and spoke through the baggage access hole above the conveyer belt.

Capital on the Edge Performing CREATED at Davis Christian Assembly (California)

“So sad” I lamented - professionalism and maturity right there... A ticket sales clerk on her hands and knees, unable to hold a conversation in plain eye sight. “She should try working in an airport” I thought to myself.

“I didn’t like how he was speaking to me” she chided gently. “I’m sorry” I half-called out. Her sudden dog-look, stopped me in my tracks and I decided to let the jolly chap take care of the rest.

Before long I was advised that my children and our Nicaraguan youths would be attended to and helped off at Davis – our final destination.

Relief! Whilst waiting, I visited a nearby shop. I ordered some coffee and breakfast for Liz and I. The Korean shop owner cooked our food and we struck up a cool conversation. Compassion oozed from my heart for this bloke and his family. The immigrants of America – the people’s hard work that this country was built on.

Upon my return I learnt from Liz and Shane Seaburg (who lives in New York) that AMTRAK had offloaded our group at the very next stop, and were calling the Police. “WHY?” I implored. “They don’t have ID” Liz answered.

The problem to AMTRAK, was that our troupe did not hold valid train tickets. The fact that I’d shown the very same AMTRAK train conductor our paperwork, seemed to be irrelevant. The Police, however, were never called.

Capital on the Edge performing CREATED at a public school in California

I had secretly hoped that the Police would have been called. ‘Cause I was just ever so curious to know what a bunch of legal, responsible, polite youths, who hadn’t committed any crime, would be charged with.

I learnt through our travels with AMTRAK that we should put our travel business elsewhere. It wasn’t just our experience that made me think this, I also observed many problematic incidents between AMTRAK and other customers. To me, it was just the attitude of not really caring that sent me into an internal rage.

Whilst waiting I contacted Bensie, a ray of light in the city of Davis. We explained our situation. She was cool. Cool as a Cucumber. Bensie coordinated our time in Davis. Because of our time in Davis, there is now no surprise to me that we experienced this sort of nonsense upon our day of travel to the east.

We arrived in the next town and saw our group standing there. We beckoned them over and they came running. We were so excited to be reunited again. We hugged, kissed, laughed and cried. The doors closed once more, and we began to pull away…

But who should be standing on the receding platform, smiling innocently? You guessed it, absent minded BEYCKER! We screamed to him and he eventually heard our cries. He came running, but it was too late. Liz went to pull the emergency brake, but I told her off (BIG fines in the USA for that kind of behavior – We could possibly be imprisoned and become terrorism suspects.

I found the rail conductor and detailed our predicament. I asked him to call the station immediately and to put Beycker on the next train. The tall conductor said he’d do it and walked away with an urgent spring in his step.

Capital on the Edge performing at the University of California - Davis

The train conductor returned a good while later, with less spring and I asked him how he’d gone. Liz was on the phone with the train staff at Beycker’s station. She had relayed to me that nobody had contacted them – meaning that Beycker was still at-large in the East Bay.

The conductor told me that he’d be contacted as soon as there was information. I responded urgently “there won’t be any information, because you haven’t contacted them.” (I could just tell, he had that siv-like-look about him)

The conductor looked at me grimacingly. “WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME?!” Oh yes, I forgot: everyone’s special, everyone’s important, nobody works or serves anybody… “I said, you haven’t done what I’ve asked.” Solutions. why don’t people look for solutions??? Everyone just looks for ways out of being held responsible.

He bore holes through my skull with his engorged eyes. I was furious, so not at all nervous – quite a feat, considering his muscle mass. He lowered his face to mine and brought it to within a few centimeters in a display of Mike Tyson intimidation. I was unmoved, far too cross...

He said cockily, “I’ve contacted the train station and asked them to let me know if anyone contacts them saying they’ve missed the train and need to go to Davis. I’ve told the station to let your friend on the train!”

I responded “and that would be BRILLIANT except for he doesn’t speak English, has been in the US only for a week and doesn’t know how things work here. You don’t even know his name or what he looks like, even though I asked you to give those details. What’s his name? What’s he wearing” I asked. The conductor snapped back “You could have told me those details before!”

Performing at a school for problematic kids in California

Charmed, I’m sure…

We arrived in Davis in record time. The conductor walked by “thanks” I called out. “You’re welcome” he said automatically, instantly regretting it. Why the anger? Why the fury? Why the protests? Where was the LOVE???

For me it was just another struggle. Another fight. I could have handled it better, for sure. Please don’t ever think of ol’ Jeddo as an image of Christ-like maturity – I’m not. However, the revelation I yet again received was if we’re going to believe for BIG THINGS, then we’re going to experience BIG PROBLEMS. Undoubtedly. It’s just the way it works.

Look at the life of Christ – he encountered problem after problem, issue after issue. Look at Moses. Look at Paul. Look at Noah. Look at David. Anyone significant in the Bible’s history endured much in order to inherit much.

She was waiting for us on the platform. Bensie!!! Her and our new sister friend from Guadalajara, Erica, were waiting for us and stole us away to our new beautiful home at the Davis Assembly of God.

A beautiful meal with Chili, beans and rice was served. The boys ate happily, completely in love with yet another American city. They then got our new sound system out and started dancing and tricking around the Church’s building. Pure joy…

Our message to the World is one of hope – Jesus Christ. A savior who forgives all. A man who gave all – a heart FULL of compassion and mercy – of love. Our message to the Church is one of urgency for the Great Commission – that all would know Jesus, through us, the Church. We want youth to be enthused with a passion to share Jesus with their world.

The following clip shows a little dude who has not stopped dancing since we were in Davis. He has a gift, and is a light. This is a part of our mission – get people excited about Jesus and using their gifts and talents for his glory and for the evangelism of our sick and dying world. 


If you would like to learn more about our ministry, please watch our latest update,CLICK HERE

If you would like to learn more about who our Nica-Youths are, or to support them, please visit their page, SUPPORT Nica-Talent

To learn more about our street theatre production, "CREATED", please visit our page,NICAVANGELISTS: "CREATED", North American Tour (2013)

If you would like to see a video of some of our Nica-Youths practicing, please CLICK HERE

We are not up to budget, and travelling with 14 people is very expensive. We need an investment from Christian people for our next evangelism tour to the Midwest. To support us or make a once off donation, please visit our page, Contemplating SUPPORTING something significant?

To learn more about the House: San Carlos, please CLICK HERE 

To learn more about Davis Christian Assembly, please CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment