Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by JED: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Part 1

Saturday, July 21, 2012

POST by JED: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Part 1



Travelling is my favourite thing in the World to do. I LOVE it! That's why I worked for a travel agency and airline for 5 years. And so it was no surprise to my parents, who had spent the majority of their lives in missions, when I picked up my gigantic young family and headed off for distant lands.

Now most of you will also know that Liz and I have quit our jobs and stepped out in faith, starting a community based school and centre, and travelling regularly to the local schools to teach Bible and English classes, sharing Jesus with the scary dudes of Tipitapa Prison, and praying with the sick kids in hospital - feeding them and buying them medicines.

Many readers will also recognise that Liz and I have given literally EVERYTHING we have, and are now broke.

In March, we had our pastors visit from Australia. They are Godly men and we looked to them for wisdom. Coupled with their visit was an invitation from an Assemblies of God Church in New York to come and share. Throw in a raving Independent Baptist poking us and prodding us about the benefits of deputation and there you have it, we felt compelled to itinerate in the good ol' United States of America.

And so in the lead up to our trip everything was chaos. I was madly teaching classes, working with the staff, discipling the never-ending stream of jovenes that seem to be ever-present, and trying to squeeze US Church visits into any nook and cranny our timetable would hold.

Two nights before our departure Liz and I were having a quiet moment during dinner (literally with the other 30 people in our house) when she said "What are we going to say to all of these Churches Jed?" I hadn't really thought about it. I mean, it's not like we don't have anything to share, but what do you draw out and focus on? The orphans or street children? The youth? Those in prison, the sick, the standard and system of education? What?

What do they want to hear? Should they be rolling in the aisles laughing their heads off, crying uncontrollably using each other's neck ties as handkerchiefs, do I rock the boat with a challenging message, or go for the pity party?

How should the time be organised? Who should speak? Can women speak in the Churches we're going to? What about kids? What about girls? Eeeek! I am not a preacher but I always have plenty to say - My answer was simple and so I said a little too pompously "I will trust the Holy Spirit to lead me..." HA! How could she trump that!! But, oh dear, it's Liz, she will somehow find a way!!! "Okay, well maybe you should just speak alone and I'll sit with the kids and listen. I will trust the Holy Spirit to teach me."

With Liz's words my mind started to go a wee-bit doo-lally, "HOLY-MOLY-MOLY, she's right! I need to consider my words and seek the Lord as to what he'd have me say. Christ always had a plan and was ever communicating with the God of Heaven, he's my example and I will follow him..."

Liz and I sat together, prayed and came up with a delightful array of tantalising, thought-provoking, third world informational tid-bit, sub-sectioned service elements designed to have people think, consider, pray and communicate with us.

We decided firstly to share the love of Jesus and secondly, to disseminate the message of hope through Christ, and us through Him crafting disciples to help in fulfilling the Great Commission - "...go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you..." (Matthew 28:19-20)

And so verily we planned songs to sing in both Español and English, a skit that Franny (our delightful daughter) had performed during one of our youth nights, an audience participation activity exposing the harsh realities of cultural difference (highlighting our transitional faux pas), a powerpoint presentation to vividly reflect the words we were speaking and a video. "A VIDEO??? No time", I thought to myself, I had to run!!!

I was determined to tidy up every aspect of our lives in Nicaragua, before venturing on our merry, Jesus sharing, awareness and support raising, pilgrimage to the north country. Upon my arrival at Shawn's house, my best Gringo friend in Nicaragua, I realised it was already 9pm. I plonked myself on the couch and began to work.

Fortunately, my friend Shawn is PASSIONATE about the Lord and loves to talk about Him at all times. And so I found myself more in the Bible and less in the computer than I had planned. Tremendous, I finished my film, which was really just a "next week" type of promotional video, and stumbled home to bed. It was 4am by the time my blinking eyes finally rested.


9am and up we all got. On Sundays, at Capital Edge Community Center, we have a Baptist Church service. We did a quick tidy-up involving sweeping the floor, rounding up the 6 dogs and 6 horses (5 horses and a foal), determining whether the youth present are desirous of Church or chatter, and evicting the latter, and making coffee, copious quantities of caliente (hot - though don't use this word when trying to explain that your body temperature is soaring through the roof, as I once did with my delightful 4th graders... It has quite a different meaning when used in reference to the human body - let's pause here for a moment and thank the LIVING GOD I wasn't fired over that embarressing incident) cups of sumptuous java.

The Worshippers all vacated the premises and Liz immediately transformed from a hymn singing Angel into a whip cracking tyrant. She was focused, determined and unforgiving. "Move that box from A to B!" She yelled. "Put your back into it you slovenly coward!" She screamed. "Get your thumb out of your mouth and work, work, work" She commanded. Exhausted? You have no idea...

I left at 9pm a broken man, but satisfied that I had given my all to the love of my life, and although the place wasn't "ready" for our imminent departure, it was well on the way. I worked through the night on our second video. It took forever and again, I found myself distracted by the teacher of Jesus, my pal Shawn.

I arrived home, again at 4am, to find that Liz was still yelling and screaming, though at the volume of a whisper. Why she'd worked up such a frenzy during the day she'd become hoarse. The Lord truly is mysteriously miraculous, my prayers were being answered one at a time... ha ha


I quickly packed my things and helped with a few final chores before sounding the alarm and organising the troops. We said our goodbyes which was relatively short and sweet, except for a lingering hug between Francesca and Beycker. I wasted no time hugging over the top of the duo, which made them laugh and seperate. That's the move I always go for "laugh and seperate", "Laugh and Seperate", "LAUGH AND GET AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER!!!" (I often find myself laughing and by the end I'm crying, and I don't know which emotion I'm drawing on and whether I really should be laughing or crying, and so I PUSH ahead...)

American Airlines, partner to Qantas Airways - the Spirit of Australia. Although I find the new "check-in" gadgets thoroughly appalling and the lack and quality of service extremely disappointing, I cannot deny that the queues are shorter and the system is efficient.

I put my nose in the air and stride straight past the North American airline staff who were dressed in shorts, t-shirts, and whose lack of make-up and hair fashion was painfully obvious - a disgusting reality of cheap air travel in the US market. "If only I was flying with Taca or Copa", I lament. "Their customer service agents still wear suits and their flight attendants still look like Patsy Stone from the BBC's Absolutely Fabulous."

We arrive in Miami and so far I'm impressed. The flight, although full, was pleasant and the flight attendants, although not glamorously presented (probably due to the 100 hours they've worked this week - another North American airline phenomenon), were tired but friendly and helpful.

As with all American airport hubs, we find ourselves having to walk along 300 miles of hallways, before finally arriving at the immigration hall. Of course, the trip took twice as long because Sezni decided to run in the wrong direction along the travelator. But that just made the walking more interesting, ESPECIALLY when we were confronted by an angry pilot who had tried to go around Sezni, but in the process had spilt his steaming hot coffee all over himself, dropped his newspaper which was swiftly eaten by the travelator's hungry teeth, and burnt/grazed his hand whilst trying to protect his fall. Never mind, he had other things to worry about, like whether or not Greece would still be there upon his descent into Athens.

 Of course, due to our alien status, we joined the 25 person long line and patiently waited. We held Sezni close, with hand over mouth. He was excited, had too much energy and was simply out-of-control. And so we reeled, BOY DID WE REEL...

We arrived at the front of the queue and the courteous, but unimpressed no-nonsense immigration officer called us over. I untightened my grip on the boy, keenly aware of the cameras on my person. He had calmed down! "Phew" I thought.

The officer asked "Why are you in the US?" My response, "We're coming to speak in Churches and visit with friends and family". I was nervous. We're Australian, which means we can basically come-and-go from the US without visas, but throw in the whole living in anti-West Nicaragua component, and we start to feel like Australia's David Hicks, evading detention in Guantanamo Bay.

Blah, blah, blah, look into the camera, put your index finger on the pad, etc, etc, etc. The children behave like angels. Smiling sweetly and answering correctly. Their tone is perfect, not to loud so as to come across bossy and disrespectful, and not too soft, like they're covering something up. And then it's Sezni's turn...

"Sezni Brien?", the chap calls. "Sezni?', he repeats himself. We all start to look at Sezni, our pleasant countenances begin to morph into concentrated stares. "SEZNI BRIEN!?" The immigration officer now stares impatiently at Sezni. I push our creative little creature forward.

At this point I must also confess that our family completely stretches Sezni. The boy has been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome. He needs plenty of fore-warning about anything and everything, he loves routine. He has a vivid imagination, doesn't appreciate a whole lot of human interaction (which is the boy's main struggle in our family) and obsesses over dinosaurs, fizzy drinks (pop, soda, carbonated refreshments) and movies.

Sezni has an incredible memory. He learnt Spanish because his first teacher was replaced by a couple of ladies in Mexico who knew that Sezni learnt when dinosaurs and winning were involved, and at the time, those two elements were the only factors necessary for success in his language acquisition.

However, Sezni also watched an ENORMOUS amount of television. We learnt early on that Sezni loves television and would learn Spanish in phrases from television programs. It was a similar case in English. However, Sezni repeats phrases he has memorised from television in everyday social interactions - that's not always cool...

Sezni stepped forward to the immigration officer. "Sure thing, BUTTHEAD!" The immigration officer's eyebrows raised, and I could see that he was trying to hold back laughter, and so he clenched his teeth and forced a frown. Liz and I went bright red. I immediately wanted to administer Biblical discipline, but the cameras, THE CAMERAS!

I hugged Sezni from the side and placed my hand under his arm, so that I could hold onto a small piece of his skin. Unfortunately, this made matters worse. Sezni and I play-wrestle ALL THE TIME. Because Sezni was now extremely tired, he started to giggle, not realising the seriousness, nor the context of this situation.

The immigration officer asked Sezni to remove his hat, in a very serious tone (though by this time the officer was beginning to smile and then frown with such contracted force that if you had have slipped a wig on his head, slopped some white paint on his face, lipstick on and around his mouth, and slapped (thank you Skin Cancer Foundation of Australia) a red nose on his honker, he would have looked just like a member of Dumbo's circus act, the cartoon version.

Sezni's response? "I don't think so, BUTTHEAD!" I pinched HARD and ripped the hat off. Sezni stood to attention. The show was over, the deal was done, the mystery had materialised. Sezni did exactly as he was told. He answered every question. He was respectful and polite, gave eye contact and made us proud.

As we strode away to the beginning of our American adventures the immigration officer broke with the norm and called out to us "have a great time in America!" Sezni turned slowly, a little too Jim Carey for my liking, and before he was able to cooly respond "THANKS... BUTTHEAD!!!", Liz and I both slapped our hands over his mouth and cheerfully called out "we will!"

No need to clarify. Sezni received many Biblical disciplines that day. Starting with the bathroom attached to the baggage claim. However, it highlighted to me how God wants us to be like Peter who stepped out of the boat. Liz has had such a revelation over the last month about how we as Christians tend to concentrate on the lack of faith that Peter had. What about the other disciples? They were still sitting cosily and warm, away from physical danger - in the boat! Where was THEIR faith?

Over the next couple of months I am going to write about our trip to the US. This venture has required a MAMMOTH step out of the boat for the Brien family. However, we do not seek the things of this World. Yesterday, 12 people were killed in yet another Colorado killing. Did those people, who had their lives taken from them, know Jesus Christ in a personal and real way? That is our mission, to be a part of the Great Commision, to reach the lost for the Glory of God.

And so for those of you who would like to support us through the Australian Christian Churches - International Missions (Australian arm of the Assemblies of God), please visit our facebook page, Capital on the Edge, click on "files" at the top of the page, and then download "Field Worker Support Pledge form.pdf", fill it in and send it back to them. It really is THAT easy... If you have any questions, please contact us at CapitalontheEdge@gmail.com

Thanks for reading Part 1 of Planes, Trains and Automobiles,

Jeddoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment