Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: Blog by LIZ: Stuck on YOU

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Blog by LIZ: Stuck on YOU

I'm typing this blog 36,000 feet in the air. During the months of July and August, we Brien's are gallivanting around parts of the USA to raise awareness of the situation within in Nicaragua; sharing with others about what we are doing in our small corner of the world and believing for others to join us in making an incredible difference. 

Honestly, travelling around the States is a writers delight. I have ample amount of material to write about.  Emotions diversify; ranging from sheer and utter bliss; "God is good all the time"; utopia view, to complete and utter disgrace; red faced; put my ruby red slippers on, click as hard and fast as I possibly can and get me the heck out of here, type of deal - especially - ESPECIALLY when it involves Sezni deciding to respond to the firing questions of an "I'm-a-very-important-USA-immigration officer" by tagging the phrase "Butt Head" at the end of every sentence! 

Or when our darling "I-wanna-be-a-comedian", Rafael, spontaneously decides to be a part of our heart-felt presentation, taking his cue from our growing-family photo, displayed on the big screen, he asks, "Who's Billy?".

Or when those naive, yet awkward and discomforting, language differences we Brit/Aussies tend to have with gringos. The "WHAT???? - that word means this in the states!" moments. (Apparently, the word "TRICKING" in the states does not refer to the gymnastics sport our boys know and love. It is a synonym which describes the act of a prostitute! Hopefully the hundreds who have already heard us use the phrase; "we teach Tricking to the children" are internationally word savvy and are not confused about our line-of-work) - but it certainly explains why the donations were not as forthcoming!



Portion sizes in the states is another culture shock for us Briens. I will be carrying excess luggage back to Nicaragua with me that sadly can't be checked in!

I'll also be taking back so much more than extra kilos. It is awe-strikingly amazing to see how God unpredictably stirs the hearts of his people and arranges particular circumstances and events.  My faith is forging ahead as I understand the reality that God intends to join others with what he is doing through us in Nicaragua.  God could instantly provide us with the resources required to sustain our work in Nicaland, independently of others. However, He wants others to be involved in order for His glory to be known throughout the world.  I see how God purposely used events in my life to get me to the thought place I am in today.

I remember buying our first home in Australia. I felt like a host on the show "changing rooms" as I browsed through sample boards, picking out carpet, curtains and floor boards for our new-to-us abode.

Breathing in a warm feeling of satisfaction, I signed the form stating my approval of the newly laid polished floor boards.  I locked the front door and dreamily thought of my new-fangled home. What others would class as a humble home appeared as a palace to me, and I was excited to take this new step with Jed.

The next day, we jammed boxes of stuff into our grey Nimbus and sang all the way to our new haven.  We unlocked the door and walked inside. To our horror, we stared at our newly laid floor boards which bore raw scars revealing that they were prime witnesses to why the kitchen window was smashed.  Three rocks lay scattered on the floor yet their activity was obvious.  They had cut up the virgin boards like a jet-ski does to water when in full throttle.

We quickly realised we weren't in Kansas anymore; reality kicked in. We were living in an area Floyd McClung titled "The devil's doorstop".  Our neighbourhood hosted a miniature commune of drug-lords and prostitutes and these rocks were their house-warming gift to us.

We found ourselves neighbours to those in incredible need. Thankfully we had extraordinary life group leaders, the Manry's, who supported and encouraged us. 

During one meeting, I was feeling like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. There was so much I wanted to do for my community yet I lacked so much.  Margaret, who is spiritually as sharp as an eagle spotting it's prey, came alongside me.  She knew exactly what was burdening my heart.

She spoke boldly: "Liz, you need to understand that God isn't going to allow you to do this alone.  God could provide you with everything you need without involving a single person. However, this is not His will.  He wants others involved.  You and Jed see the need and God places you guys in situations where you first-handedly experience what the oppressed and the broken hearted go through.  People don't always see the need and we require you guys to link us with it.  You see, you guys are God's GLUE.  He uses you to connect others who have, to those who need.  Don't be selfishly independent - continue to share the stories, as this will prompt others to help in the way they can. I wouldn't go knocking on their doors and give clothes, but I can easily give you a box to give to them.  Liz, be the glue God designed you to be."

WOW, her words pieced through my pride and I felt my spiritually hunched shoulders straighten with every word she spoke.

I know not everyone is called to live in Nicaragua, yet I know that we are all called to live a life that testifies the name of Jesus.  We are all encouraged to look after the poor and the needy. For us Briens this is a daily reality, yet not everyone experiences this type of living. 

God has enlarged our hearts for the people in our barro; they live below the poverty line, they struggle on a daily basis to provide food and shelter for their loved ones, they work hard for little in return, they face dangers of the worst kind, they lack resources, they lack opportunity, they need Jesus.

I now know that it is selfish of me to ask God to, independently of others, to provide me with the resources required to care for my neighbours. 

When God uses our lifestyle to prompt others to get on board with what He is doing in Nicaragua, it only creates greater glory to God.  It moves from a simple yet selfish "pat-on-the-back Jed and Liz" to a bonding of the church and a Christ-like unity.  It produces righteous living. It moves the mindset away from the useless thought that "Jed and Liz care", to the reality that God cares and prompts His Church to spring into action.    

The testimonies are life-changing. It's not just our poverty stricken community who are spun-around as we share the authenticity of why we are able to make an incredible difference.       

Stories of Rachel, a 16 year-old Aussie girl, who selflessly requested for her birthday she would rather raise money to help our community in Nicaragua, who she doesn't know, than receive birthday presents, blows not just their minds, but ours as well.  She raised over $1,400 and serves as God's glue as she links others with the need in Nicaragua!

Or when strangers (who we now call friends) randomly provide a box of shoes that fit the shoeless children in our school.  


Or when Mandy, a single mother in the UK, is prompted to give her precious savings so that another single mother who she has never met can feed her children, is just priceless!

Or when Vaughan, a father, who lost his beloved son, decides to give another person's son a chance to be educated, is beyond words. 

God's plan is never for us to do things solo.  If I had all the resources and did my thing independently, the glory would merely stay with me, but when we are the glue, the focus is on the big picture.  God yearns for his people to join together for the sake of his glory to shine through, not just to a few, but to the multiples in order for His kingdom to come and His will to be done!

Matthew 25:34-46

Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.35h For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,36naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’37Then the righteous* will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?38When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?39When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’40i And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’41* j Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.42k For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,43a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’44* Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’45He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’46l And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment