Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1dedpEYPR - Capital on the Edge -: POST by JED: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Part 11

Thursday, November 8, 2012

POST by JED: Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Part 11


A beaut benefit in visiting the United States, this past Northern Hemisphere summer, was being able to see many of our dearest friends and family. After four and a half years in Latin America, where we've both blended in well and stood out like sore thumbs (scores of sore thumbs actually), I can't tell you just how cool it was, the unbelievable relief, to hang out with people who "get" us. Well, people who really, truly try to "get" us...
During our first student exchange year in Rochester, Liz's studious, yet debonair brother, Lukey, came to visit us. At the time Lukey was studying at Filton College in Bristol - UK, and was feeling a little cooped up in his scholarly, Western England environment (think Pirates of the Caribbean).

Lukey is by no means an average person. He has an extensive vocabulary, a wicked imagination, and a tantalisingly delectable personality. He also has red hair and thick luscious eyebrows - Lorenzy, my daughter and Lukey's niece,  asked me to add that last sentence. Apparently it's somewhat of an ongoing joke between the two...

Upon Lukey's arrival in Rochester, we showed him the sights, which consisted of Church, our apartment and the supermarket - we were Aussie exchange students in the USA, just after the Asian stock crisis... At the time of writing this post the Aussie dollar is just a little stronger than the weakening Greenback, but at the time it was 1 Aussie dollar to every 50 US cents - we couldn't afford to swallow the saliva in our mouths... We were poor as dust. Well anyway, Lukey feigned interest in our rather static lives.

We stuck the lad in the only space available to us in our small two bedroom apartment - a broom closet. With the sweltering heat Lukey sautéed beautifully, ready for consumption - and so we verily decided on a little soirée of sorts, to show off our prized legendary British hunk, to the adoring local lasses.

Our exclusive candlelit supper for young damsels in tight fit dress, turned into a raucous, boardgame playing, Mariah Carey squealing, hair pulling, manners forgetting, mosh pit fest of youthful US Christian femininity. 

During the board game "Survivor," Liz and I were first to be "voted off the island..." And therein lay the irony, we were swiftly and strategically being nudged out of the evening - far, far away from our struggling sibling, the now salaciously stuttering Lukey.

The poor kid didn't stand a chance. He tried to smile, but exhibited one of those "male trying to smile" smiles. He attempted to get up and move around, but was hastily tackled back down to the ground. He began to wince, twitch and tap, yet these girls were unmerciful and seemed somewhat experienced - sensing his naivety and nervousness they moved in for the kill, tongues lashing and eyelids and batting...

Liz and I, not knowing what to do, retreaded to the boudoir to discuss tactics and the implementation of a security plan. Moments later we emerged, ready to distract the hoards of broads by dancing the can-can on stilts, to Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink's hit - Lady Marmalade. However, the delightful loves had left, leaving Lukey alone and completely in love.

The boy had been trapped, suffocated, incapable of normal brain function - they'd weakened him to the point of complete and utter exhaustion. He was no longer human, he'd spent a night with New York gals. Who won the battle for the brawn and the brains, I hear you caringly ask? The ever radiant, quietly spoken, highly intelligent, Jaime.

Over the next few forevers, Lukey traveled back and forth between the US and Great Britain, getting to know his darling Miss Swanson, her family, and the state of New York, which would become his permanent home.

However, amidst the who-ha of young love, we also returned to New York for another year. This second university exchange period (Liz's turn at tertiary study), offered the Brien family the terrific privilege of getting to know Jaime and her family, without the incessant interference of Lukey, and this was quite the blessing.

I mean seriously, how often are folks given the opportunity in really getting to know their international in-laws, before they're married-in and it's all too late? (for plotting, scheming, revenge, etc.)

Jaime spent many-a-night in our quaint, Floridian built, bungalow, chatting with us about this and that and everything else in between. The relationship between us developed easily, without complication, and the time was unrushed and of significant value. What can I say, we absolutely love Jaime and we've had the time to let this love grow!

She was there for all of our kids' gaudy birthday parties. She endured the decorating of our apartment. She observed Liz's pregnancy (sometimes closely, at other times from a safe distance) and the birth of Rafael (our youngest bio offspring).

She welcomed us into her sometimes gasoline powered home, the day Lizzie left hospital with 5 day old Rafael.  A storm had struck powerfully, taking out our electricity. Liz had dozed in our marital cot, with sleepy Raffy snoring alongside.

Whilst there was still light, I was okay with this scenario. However, the snow fell heavily upon our house, driving temperatures rapidly south (although we used gas for heating, you had to start the darned thing with electricity). I put layer upon layer of clothing upon our kids, effectually making them look somewhat like little Michelin men!  

I made my specialty for dinner, cereal and bread with jam. I served up cold hot chocolate and we snuggled in, reading bedtime stories. At just 4pm I had gone as far as I would go and declared with the dimming light that it was now "bedtime!" As if I was joking, Franny & Renzy laughed at the hilarity, clapping their hands wildly and running through and past my legs. I hadn't been joking, so what the dickens was going on?

I ran around trying to find the wee little "darlings", only gettinig madder by the second. What started off as "Fraaannyyy? Reeenzyyy? I'm going to fiiind youuu!" became (with wooden spoon in hand) "IF YOU DO NOT COME OUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW I'M GOING TO BLAH, BLAH, EXPLETIVE, BLAH!!!" I know, cancel all the parenting seminars...

In my fury and bewilderment the phone rang. I don't know how, but it rang. We were still powerless (myself in many ways), but the ding dang phone did ring! "Hello, this is Jeddie speaking!" I chimed in my best Bucket (bouquet) voice... Funny to me how Aussies and Brits, even in dire circumstances, always answer the phone with a smile on their face and a pleasant, I'm-the-chirpy-receptionist-of-a-multinational, tone.

It was my sister in-law-to-be on the other end. "Can we come and collect you guys? You can sleep here tonight..." I happily went and interrupted my sleeping beauty's "napping." I explained the proposal to Liz who responded with a growly, if-you-wake-me-again-you'll-die, "absolutely not!"

I gradually returned to the phone, unable to see, only able to hear the echoes of my children's giggling & chatting along the very walls that were guiding my hands, assisting me in my navigation of the apartment.

I was unhappy, but hadn't just given birth to a baby (without any kind of pain relief) in breach position 5 days prior, and so I bit my tongue. "Jaime, Liz wants to just stay put for the night", I whispered soberly. "Okay", she replied in a kind of questioning, you're an idiot - but if you want to die an idiot then I respect your decision, kind of way... I placed the phone gingerly on the hook. "I'm an idiot", I thought to myself.

The Brien family at the Townsend/Swanson wedding
Hours went by, but the rambunctious behaviour of the little Brien kiddies never once changed. Honestly, my eyes never adjusted to the darkness and my offspring were never found. They crawled behind furniture, following me, leading me, making a complete fool out of me, but... Not once was I able to catch the little critters! I did however, manage to break countless objects and am sure I was within inches of the brazen brats at any given moment!

I don't want to carry on with this hodge-podge story for too long, but basically Lizzie woke up and asked me curiously what my game plan was. I explained that if it had have been my decision, we'd be at the Swanson's by now. She asked me what I meant, I asked her what she meant, she didn't remember our conversation about Jaime's invitation (clearly, she'd been sleep talking) and became furious with me for not snapping up their kind offer. Of course I telephoned half of Rochester in my desperate attempt to call the Swanson's back (it was dark and I misdialed several... hundred times).

It must have been a couple of years later that Luke asked for Jaime's hand in marriage (lucky him, Craig gave the entire body!). They telephoned us from New York (we were living in Canberra again, the national Capital of Australia) and we were all very excited, haphazardly celebrating by dancing with our kids to Abba songs all evening, normal behaviour in the Brien household.


Even more exciting was that Luke & Jaime asked us to be their Best Man & Maid of Honour. Wow! Liz and I had eloped many years before, and being asked to be a significant part of a "proper" wedding was a shock to our system. The wedding we were expecting, the formal stroll down the aisle, arm in arm, in front of a mass of friends and family, was something quite unexpected!

The Brien, Townsend & Swanson men (plus one strange little English chap)

We flew to New York, along with all of Liz's family from the UK, and with my parents from Australia. It was a lovely ceremony and reception. I was privileged to give the only speech of the night, and although it nearly killed me, on account of nerves, I was honoured to be granted the opportunity.

The Brien's, the Townsend's and a Swanson... That's Gold, that's Family

And so, this past summer, we returned to Jaime Townsend née Swanson's house for some family fun and festivities. We were warmly greeted by friends-come-family as we swam in the Swanson pool, drank Swanson coffee, chatted with grandma, Craig & Chrissy Swanson (Jaime's Dad & Mum) and enjoyed the beauty of tiny Swansons (Jaime's brother, Cory, is now married. He has several kids of his own. His wife is Julie Swanson née Hinman, please see Planes, Trains &Automobiles - Part 10).

Francesca,, me, baby Allegra, Lukey, Lizzie, Jaime & Lorenzy

The cake, you've just eaten. However, the icing on the cake, in this Brien/Swanson journey, is a couple of factors not yet mentioned.

Firstly, Chrissy grew up as a missionary child in Japan. Upon completion of our sharing at LifeQuest Church, Chrissy looked into my eyes, with tears welling, and said "wow, this is really something. You guys have always believed you'd be doing this work and look where we are today."

Jed & Raffy singing Perfume a Tus Pies at LifeQuest Community Church

Chrissy's words were special to me, an acknowledgement of what it has taken to get where we are, and excitement for where we are going. However, as a missionary child herself, there is a kindredness between the path Chrissy has walked and the path our family is currently on. Chrissy's warm eyes looked into mine and I saw many, many more things than mere words could express. There was love, respect, kindness, joy, etc. No words were necessary, I felt a million emotions towards Chrissy as we stood in the LifeQuest Church building that warm summery day. We, together, are part of a physical family. However, and more importantly, we're part of a spiritual family.

Secondly, Craig & Chrissy have proved it can be done. One of the most difficult thing about being married is being married. What was God thinking when he put 2 completely different people together and said "love each other." I have many questions for God when we're face-to-face. I don't think my human brain will ever comprehend the why's relating to marriage. In any case, Craig & Chrissy have walked in humility and have persevered through adversity. They are a great example to me of holding on to the promise that God alone has given. He will make a way through the desert... We just have to put our trust in HIM, believing that he has the answers and that he will remain faithful to us - HIS children. All it takes on our part is faith, persistence and copious amounts of coffee...


No comments:

Post a Comment